How it works at our house:
1. I go to bed at 11:00, which is two hours later than I did pre-SH.
2. He stays up late working because an account executive sent him an email late Friday afternoon that a customer needs help using their software in a way that the software doesn't work and the customer has been told that the software doesn't really work that way and the AE hasn't brought up this problem to the engineers over the past few months because he "didn't want to rock the boat." Instead, the AE waits until 5:00 Friday afternoon to demand instant help on the issue and then schedules a conference call with the customer - and SH, because the engineer assigned to this customer left on vacation at 4:30 Friday afternoon without solving the problem* - at 10:30 a.m. Monday. Without asking SH.
3. SH comes to bed at about 3:00 a.m.
4. I get up to see a man about a dog.
5. I return to bed, eyes closed, feeling my way, because I do not want to wake up because if I wake all the way up in the middle of the night, I have a hard time falling back to sleep.
6. SH says, "I can't sleep!"
7. I try to ignore him, but I feel sorry for him because he is the one who works his butt off so I can be a gold-digger.
8. I ask him if he wants me to rub his back.
9. "Maybe." He turns on his side so I can reach his back.
10. "I hate my job," he moans.
11. I rub. He whines. This situation is whineworthy.
12. He falls asleep.
13. I lie in bed awake for at least an hour before I fall back to sleep.
* SH was up working until 4:00 a.m. on the first night of our honeymoon in Madrid. You know, because he had things he had to finish before taking vacation.