Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 845: Entertaining

Hello my peeps. I have been busy getting us ready to go to the cottage on Madeline Island on Saturday and to have SH's high school friend and his family here for supper tonight and tomorrow night. We leave here Saturday morning.

The big issues: do I even bother to wash the kitchen floor knowing that

1. It has been raining

2. There will be five extra people in the house tonight and tomorrow night, three of them children. Young children.


I vote no because why bother?

But then I think yes because I cannot bear for someone to think I am a bad housekeeper. It's not like I don't have time to have a clean, neat house. And I know my house skills will be evaluated. It's what women do. I do it. Yes. I judge. If your house is a disaster, I notice. I won't say anything, but I notice. You get a pass if you have very very young children, but after that? Your bathroom needs to be clean. The kitchen counters should be visible - they should not contain a month's worth of mail and newspapers.

Some people don't think a clean house is important. Whatever. It's your house, you get to do what you want with it.

But I will still judge. Just as I expect to be judged when I do all my chores in my sweaty gym clothes because I am too lazy to go home, shower and dress properly before doing the shopping, going to the post office and library, etc. I know I look like crap. I know I can look better. But I am lazy. People can figure that out about me. I am not proud of this quality, but there you go.

But my house?

Clean. Tidy. Despite the cats.

The small issues:

1. What do we feed the kids? If the grownups are having steak, should the kids get steak? How much Good Food should we make for little humans who think Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is haute cuisine?

2. How do I avoid getting pulled into a political and/or religious discussion? SH and his friend do not agree on almost anything and both find a spirited (to put it lightly) argument to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I hate arguing about politics. SH and I do not agree on most things.* I am all, "Let's just agree to disagree," and SH is all, "But I must convince you of the error of your ways and enlighten you as to the superiority of mine!"

The good news is that after seeing our friends Bonnie and Gary on Saturday and my aunt and uncle and some cousins on Sunday, we will be without internet access (I hope) for four straight days, which will mean that SH cannot work. You would think that being "on vacation" would imply not working, but remember that SH was up until 4:00 a.m. on the first night of our honeymoon in Madrid.



* We do both like bacon, watching movies, and playing tennis, so why not focus on those things, I say?

2 comments:

LPC said...

Yes wash the floor. You will feel better. If the kids eat steak, make it for them. Their parents will feel enormous gratitude that you have helped provide protein. As for politics and religion, I regret to inform you that I am of SHs beliefs but also HATE to talk about all that when disagreement may occur, since my theory is it's hardwired at birth or shortly thereafter. Given that political and economic theories are clearly, all of them irrational, they must be biological or psychological.

Class factotum said...

LPC, I did wash the floor because I couldn't bear not to.

And the steak won't be an issue. Last night, the kids - three of them - ate collectively half a hot dog bun and one and a half chicken sausages. They also ate some chips.

But they were more interested in playing with the cats and watching SH swear about the basement flood than in eating.