Monday, August 16, 2010

Marriage 201, Lecture 507: C'est chic

SH gets beer and a pretzel in a Munich beer garden.

SH: Did you get pine nuts [for the pesto from the basil in my garden, which, along with the cherry tomatoes, are the Germany to the rest of the garden, which is Belgium].

Me: Nope. They were $20 a pound.

SH: You freaked out over pine nuts.*

Me: Yeah. The one freakout I've had since we met five years ago.

SH: There have been more.

Me: A few. But you freak out every day.

SH: That's not true.

Me: Oh yes it is.

SH: Maybe once a week.

Me: Uh-huh. Orders and orders of magnitude more than I freak out.




* Four years ago, at my old house, when I accidentally burned a cup of pine nuts I was toasting. You would freak out, too, if it was your own stupid fault that you ruined something so expensive, especially if you were unemployed at the time.

No comments: