Thursday, September 23, 2010

Marriage 301, Lecture 412: The hard way


The scene: The zipper on SH's inside pillowcase has gone off the tracks. My solution was to safety pin the pillowcase shut, but The Engineer doesn't like it. He is trying to put the zipper slide back on the teeth. He spends 30 minutes working on it, to no avail.

Me: Why don't I just sew it closed?

SH: That's not the right thing to do.

Me: It solves the problem.

SH: No it doesn't. The only solutions are to get a new pillowcase or to repair this one.

Me: No, sewing it together would work. I could baste it and then when I need to wash it, I could cut the stitches and re-sew it.

SH: That's not a solution. That's a kluge. Engineers don't like kluges.

Me: So you would rather buy a new one or waste more time trying to fix this one rather than going with an actual solution?

SH: Yes.

2 comments:

Heather Griffith Brewer said...

I'm with SH on this one. Sorry.

Class factotum said...

Heather, even though it's not the outside pillowcase and so gets washed only every few months?