Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So smart



Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from - well, you know.

So.

Here is what I learned today that I hope will serve me in the future:

1. If it has been a year since I took a class on preparing food that can be stored without refrigeration, it would behoove me to review my notes as to the science of food preserving.

2. As opposed to trusting just any old recipe online.

3. Which may or may not include an acid that will keep low-acid fruits from killing me.

4. And if the recipe does include lemon juice, of which I have none, it would behoove me to stop and ask myself, "Self, is there possibly a reason for the inclusion of lemon juice in this fig/mango/tomato/other potentially deadly food recipe?"

5. Rather than just saying to myself, "Eh. No lemon juice. No big deal. I don't like lemons that much anyhow."

6. And then reading on another blog a week later that OMG! you could get BOTULISM!

7. Even though botulism is indeed rare in this country and your friend Lois' mother never put lemon juice in her tomatoes and your grandmother made raspberry jam sealed with paraffin and nobody died. At least not from the tomatoes/jam.

8. Otherwise, I will spend an afternoon re-canning the figs and mangoes even though I thought I was DONE WITH ALL THAT.

9. Which still won't be as painful as hearing my husband say, "You always do things too fast," which is another way of saying, "I told you so."

2 comments:

Fijufic said...

Live and learn...

Class factotum said...

I know, but I'd like to be able to blame someone else for my learning.