Sunday, October 03, 2010

Good ideas #102

Photobucket

Honey. Do you really need to take a Green Bay Packers coffee sippy cup into Mass? Is it truly impossible for you to go an hour without drinking coffee? I know Marty Haugen/Gather music is about as pleasant as a root canal - actually, a root canal is not that bad, I had one a few weeks ago and it was just fine except for keeping my mouth open for 90 minutes, which yes, you would think would be normal for me - but must you medicate yourself to endure it? Jesus was on the cross for three hours* without coffee. Surely you can handle an hour.

My 75 year old uncle owns and runs a commercial riding stables in Colorado Springs. People come from all over to ride his horses, including some Supreme Court justices who were vacationing at the Broadmoor. Actually, I don't think the justices got to ride: the army special forces were training and had first dibs. The Broadmoor wanted my uncle to bump the Green Berets for the justices but my uncle said nope. Who would you want ticked off at you? The Supreme Court or the Green Berets? Neither one is good.

Anyhow. Folks show up for a one-hour ride clutching big bottles of water. My uncle rolls his eyes at this. He doesn't drink water. Milk or beer and not while he is riding. "I'm 75 years old," he says. "And I haven't dehydrated to death yet."



* Let us note for the record, though, that nobody was at his feet singing, "All Are Welcome," which surely would have prompted more than one, "Why have you forsaken me?"

1 comment:

John0 Juanderlust said...

That particular uncle is one of the coolest people on the planet. No surprise that he wouldn't let the alleged justices jump the line.