Monday, October 11, 2010

If they don't just let me go to Texas


A tiny bit busy (not really) getting ready to go to Houston on Thursday, where we will either eat or bring home of the following:

Flour tortillas made as one watches, not two states away from the store
Boudin, which, considering the sausage-ness of Wisconsin, should be available here, but is not
Kolaches, which should also be available here as the Czechs didn't go just to Texas, but now that my Slovak grandmother is dead and no longer baking kolaches (or strudel), the closest place to get them is Cedar Rapids and that's too far to drive
Buckets of crawfish, probably at the Ragin' Cajun
Goode Company BBQ
Marinin's empanadas, although we might just have to order those online as we are probably not willing to drive out to Ft Bend county to their new location. It was easier when they were in Montrose.
Texas cheeses. Yeah, yeah, coals to Newcastle. Don't laugh. Have you seen the "Texas" issue of Saveur?
Chicken fried steak
Anything else interesting I can find at Fiesta or Central Market

3 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

My husband will be in Houston this weekend and he's planning to eat Tex Mex as much as he can. I should send him to Fiesta to stock up, but he has to bring everything back on the plane, so I probably won't.

Class factotum said...

Jen, I'm not too worried about getting in the Tex Mex because we can get it here. Yes. In Milwaukee. How weird is that? But they don't have migas or breakfast burritos, so maybe.

He could bring an extra suitcase.

Fijufic said...

Houston? That city has the craziest zoning laws of any place I have ever visited.

Mabel loved it. Me? I was horrified that we were land locked and I kept looking for water.