Monday, October 04, 2010

Marriage 301, Lecture 491: You think you don't like Texas but you do


Sunday
Me: I got the first four episodes of "Friday Night Lights" from the library. Do you want to watch with me?

SH: No. I don't have time to watch a TV show. [Besides, I think Texas is dumb*, even though I went to college there.]

Me: OK. I'll watch by myself. [If you drop dead, I am moving straight back to Texas.]

Saturday
Me: I watched the first few minutes of the show and it's really good. I think you might like it. How about if you watch a little and if you don't like it, we'll turn it off and then I'll watch by myself later.

SH: Fine.

Sunday
Me [after the first episode and the player getting paralyzed and everyone in town, including the mayor, telling the coach how to run the game]: Want to watch another episode?

SH: OK.

Monday
SH: Maybe we could watch more of that show tonight.

The best part about this?

We went through the same exact exercise with Lonesome Dove several years ago. "I don't want to watch a stupid show about cowboys." I convinced him to watch the first episode. We didn't move for the next day and a half as we watched the rest. (I did have an advantage in that I had read the book and knew what a great story it was. That's a stay up past midnight to read book. Not a lot of those. Larry McMurtry, I forgive you for the drivel you have written. Lonesome Dove makes up for it all.)


* Note that SH has never said those exact words. He has never used "dumb" and "Texas" in the same sentence. That I have heard.

Photo sources:
http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/holidays-occasions/get-inspired-march-2009-00400000041017/

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/us-photo-gallery/#/hill-country-road-trip-1_22298_600x450.jpg

4 comments:

Sam Sattler said...

Don't mess with Texas, SH.

wildstorm said...

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation
in every sense of the word - Author John Steinbeck

Holly said...

See that is the difference btw me and SH. I think I don't like Texas...and I don't. This is based on 8-9 years total residence there and despite my very Texan parents' brainwashing attempts, complete with Texas shaped pasta and ice cubes.

John0 Juanderlust said...

The Berrybender series is not bad either. Strange humor, but a good series. His stuff set in more modern day falls short of his pioneer stories.