Thursday, October 14, 2010

Marriage 301, Lecture 68: Houston we have landed


We got about three hours sleep last night because of the (o)possum drama with Laverne and then worrying about sleeping through the alarm, which I actually did once FOR A BUSINESS TRIP and then the distraction of Shirley trying to lick off her flea treatment, which we gave to both her and Laverne after Laverne had her mouth all over the (o)possum and I realized it had been more than a month since the last time they had been doused.

The alarm went off at 4:15. We got to the airport at 5:30. Boarded the plane for our 6:40 flight.

And sat on the flight line for NINETY MINUTES because of some dumb reverse thruster thingamabob.

Delays happen. I get that. But when your delay means I could have slept an extra NINETY MINUTES and that my whole coffee/eating/peeing plan in the Minneapolis airport is thrown off, then I get a little bit testy.

The restaurant offers a family style meal for "four people and your dog."

However. We got to Houston OK, even a little early, which meant we had to sit in the airport for half an hour or so before we got the car because we didn't want to pay for three days and one hour, which is the same as paying for four days. We are thrifty folk. Plus we had other plans for our money, like CHICKEN FRIED STEAK at Hickory Hollow. That's the delicious food you see above. SH and I split one CFS and got a vegetable plate to go with.

In the South and in Texas, macaroni and cheese is a vegetable. Y'all, that's how we roll.

We still had leftovers, even with our modest order. Fortunately, I had brought tupperware with me. And we had little coolers and freezer packs.

What? You don't travel with this equipment? Then how do you stock up on boudin and Texas cheese, neither of which are to be found in Milwaukee?

The high point of my almost 47 years old day, though, has been that not one, not two but three men have checked me out. Wow. Does this happen in Milwaukee and I don't notice? Or are Texas men smarter? Maybe it's because I am not often to be found in a dress at home. Or makeup. Or with done hair. SH says it might be because my dress is low cut, but I pointed out that there is no there there. He shrugged and said that men still look. I think maybe they are smiling about my fabulous red cowboy boots.

6 comments:

MrScribbler said...

Ummmmm...SH wins. It ain't the boots, ma'm....

Too bad y'all missed the deep-fried beer at the Texas State Fair!

LPC said...

When you're hot, you're hot.

Jen on the Edge said...

I love the boots and the dress. Hot!

John0 Juanderlust said...

Scrib is right, SH is right, you are right. Not sure about Texas, per se, but Southern men are probably more aesthetically in tune.

Jane said...

Love the outfit as well!

AndiMAC said...

That outfit looks amazing! You did good!