Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Hey kids stay off of my lawn!


The scene: In front of my house, which is half a block from an elementary school. Moms park in front of our house when they drop off and pick up their kids, which is fine. It's a public street, even though the local government has a problem with people parking on it overnight, an illegality I have yet to understand.

Note the leaves on the street. Those are the leaves I spent an hour raking on Saturday.The pretty leaves are from the maple in front of our house. All of those leaves dropped Friday night. Not sure why. Whomp! All gone.

The ugly leaves are from the pear tree in the back yard, the pear tree that we have paid to have pruned and that we have sprayed every 10-14 days to try to eliminate the big black spots that plagued the pears. Despite all the care, the tree gave us almost no fruit this year but we are not bitter. Nope. Not at all. We didn't want pear tart or pear preserves or pear crisp for our $450 investment.

Note that there is a car-shaped space among the leaves and the leaves pushed back onto the lawn.

I did not arrange the leaves like this.

I very carefully put all the leaves in a high pile on the street so the leaf collection guys could get them. I kept them away from my neighbors' driveway and from ours. I even more carefully pushed the leaves off the storm sewer drain. You know - so if it rained before the leaves were collected, water would be able to flow down the drain. My leaf arrangement looked like a lopsided bosom: two high piles separated about 1/3 of the way through.

What drain? you're asking.

Well aren't you observant!

You can't see the drain, can you? No you cannot! And why is that?

Because someone just HAD TO PARK OVER MY HIGH LEAVES to get to school and mashed the leaves back into the storm sewer drain!

Thank you Leaf Crushing Mom who couldn't walk an extra forty feet. Thank you for covering the storm drain and smashing leaves into it. Did I mention that a congested storm drain is probably part of the reason our basement has flooded every year since we bought the house, flooding even when our neighbors' basements do not?

I will be watching this afternoon to see who parks there and I WILL GLARE AT HER.

8 comments:

Fijufic said...

People just don't care....

John0 Juanderlust said...

You put leaves on the street? Isn't off the street, up on the curb, the norm in most places? Unless you have very quick leaf guy, this is a losing battle even without the school.

Class factotum said...

John, that's how we're supposed to do it. One guys drives the truck, another drives the little broom machine. The broom guy pushes the leaves in front of him and on up to the truck via a ramp. They won't pick up the leaves that aren't on the street.

MrScribbler said...

I'd tell Shirley that Lazy Leaf-parking Woman is a marble, and let her handle it.

Jen on the Edge said...

I'd get some orange traffic cones and put them around the leaf pile as an obvious sign that people should not park there.

Laura(southernxyl) said...

I LOVE pear preserves. You slice your pears pretty thin, right? And serve them over biscuits?

Class factotum said...

Mr S, I like that idea. Maybe Shirl can clean the windows while she's at it.

Jen, right, huh? As if the leaves themselves aren't a good "DON'T PARK HERE!" sign.

Laura, I am lazy and just mash them. I know, I know. But they still taste good. I eat them straight out of the jar.

Nikola said...

That's terrible!