Sunday, December 19, 2010

Marriage 301, Lecture 994: Country mice in the big city

Chicago churros. Good pastry, but the chocolate was lacking.

SH and I went to Chicago yesterday so we could use his free hotel night before it expired.

This entailed driving 100 miles to Chicago, spending 70 gajillion dollars on the toll road between here and there (because what are gas taxes for? In Wisconsin, for funding Gov. Doyle's non-transportation projects, but that's something else), 198 gajillion dollars to park in downtown Chicago overnight, and eating out several meals we could have had at home.

However.

The food was excellent, I must say, and all the waiters were way more polite and nice than that jerk on Mont St Michel.

The food included tapas at the Spanish restaurant where I ate with my sister in October, Vietnamese sandwiches made on good bread (finally), and bagels and rye bread from the deli in Skokie. We are well supplied with leftovers for a while. At least a day.

But the main thing we wanted were the churros y chocolate at Xoco, Rick Bayless' newest restaurant. We had thought we would amble over there from our hotel two blocks away, sit down, and have a leisurely little snack at 3:30 p.m., but apparently, 3:30 p.m. on Saturday is when all those Chicago people eat their lunch because the wait for a table was 45 minutes and we were not that interested in the ambiance of the place. We just wanted the food.

We got churros y chocolate to go and returned to our hotel in the 21-degree chill, which would not have been so bad except 1. it was also windy and 2. it must not be the law to clear one's sidewalks in Chicago because there was still a lot of snow and ice left from last weekend's storm, so we had to be very careful.

The churros were better than any other churros we have had in the US, but they still don't match what you can get in Madrid. Yeah, I know that makes me sound like a churro snob and perhaps I am a churro snob, but Rick, churros should not be rolled in cinnamon and sugar and the chocolate is not supposed to be overly sweet and cornstarchy and it should have cream in it.

Professional churros in Madrid.

Next post: Our adventures in live-band karaoke, which include 1. getting there despite Chicago cab drivers, who are officially the Worst Drivers in the World and I have traveled through all of Latin America and lived in Miami, so bad drivers? I know them, 2. finding a place to park, 3. surviving Musician Time and 4. surviving people who have never had anyone be honest with them about their singing ability.

3 comments:

Tam said...

I think Rick Bayless' restaurants are Mexican and not Spanish, and the churros and chocolate you describe sound perfectly Mexican to me.

Class factotum said...

Tam, I am used to Spanish churros, so I was not expecting the sugar and cinnamon. They were still good, but I like Madrid churros better!

Kikita said...

It's been almost a year since I've enjoyed churros y chocolate and now I've been craving them since August... Hopefully I can convince Mami to make some for Navidad.

We put sugar, but no cinnamon. Tam's right, the cinnamon is a Mexican thing. I think they put cinnamon in their hot chocolate too...

I'm pretty sure the hot chocolate we make at home is a super thick deliciousness that originated in Spain and makes me smile just thinking about it.