Friday, December 17, 2010

Wisconsin 101: Can you spare a cigarette?

SH and the "I smoke hash!" guy in Marrakesh.

Conversation with the young woman standing outside the Vietnamese grocery store that happens to be next to a police station.

YW: Ma'am, would you buy me some cigarettes [in the convenience store next to the Vietnamese store, which is the best place to shop for persimmons, bok choy, and shallots]?

Me: No.

YW: Please! I'll give you the money.

Me: No. If you're asking me, it's because you're underage and that's illegal.*

YW: I'm 24!

Me: Then why don't you buy them yourself?

YW: Because I can't buy in there!

Me: Why not?

YW: No reason.

Me: No.

YW: Please? Please?

Me: No.

Conversation the man who drove up as I was leaving had with the same young woman.

YW: Sir, would you buy cigarettes for me?

Man: No.

YW: Please! I'll give you the money.

Man: I ain't buying cigarettes for someone underage.

YW: I'm 24!

Man: Then buy them yourself.

YW: I can't!

Man: Why not?

YW: No reason.

Man: There has to be a reason.

YW: There isn't.

Man: No.



* I am not interested in breaking the law for someone else and I especially am not interested in going into a store and waiting in line to do a favor for a stranger.

No comments: