Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Marriage 301, Lecture 590: Diversity training

SH: Should we order those training chopsticks for you?

Me: No.

SH: Why not?

Me: Because I don't care if I don't know how to eat with chopsticks.

SH: Don't you want to impress people with your multiculturalism?*

Me: In this country, we eat with a fork.

SH: But you should use chopsticks to show how sophisticated you are.

Me: Too much trouble. Plus, you should know me well enough by now to know that I don't care what other people think.

SH: You should!

Me: Nope. I'm pretty secure that way.



* Note that I speak Spanish fluently and French enough to get by. I have lived in three foreign countries and traveled through about two dozen. Note also that I think that manual dexterity has nothing to do with sophistication.

2 comments:

Fijufic said...

Emily Post may argue with you on the last point....

Training Diversity said...

Funny convo you had there. Some people need to keep an open mind!