Saturday, May 21, 2011

Marriage 301, Lecture 679: Whine does not get better with age


As SH is driving home from Cedar Rapids, where he has been for work, and where he was unable, because the darn customer who pays his salary, actually needed him to work, to go to Sykora Bakery and load up on poppyseed kolaches for me (the only two places I've found kolaches outside of my grandmother's kitchen are central Texas and Houston and Cedar Rapids - why aren't there kolaches in Milwaukee?). This is his fourth "I'm bored this drive is boring" call to me, even though really, it's just the Illinois part of the drive that's boring once you get past Galena. Sorry, Illinois, but that's the truth: flat land used for corn is not exciting scenery. My foreign boyfriend flew to Cedar Rapids for work once and was then coming to Memphis. Rather than fly from CR to Memphis, he drove because he really wanted to see the scenery. I tried to warn him, but he did not believe me.

SH: I'm going to whine.

Me: Now what?

SH: Haven't you missed my whining?

Me: Nope.

SH: You'll get to hear even more of it this summer [because he is taking a three-month sabbatical from his job] when I am home all day [which he already is, except usually he has work he should be doing].

Me: No I won't. You won't be working. You won't have anything to whine about.

SH: I'll find something.

Me: I need to get a job.

No comments: