Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Marriage 301, Lecture 668: The burdens of responsibility


SH: Why am I in charge of defrosting the freezer?

Me: Because you don't want me to be in charge. I'll be glad to do it if you'll just leave me alone.

SH: No. I just want to supervise.

Me: As in, you want to watch while I do all the work and you want to reserve the right to criticize.

SH: Yes.

I should note that this project, once started, took 67 minutes. Sixty seven minutes from the time when SH went downstairs, opened the freezer, said, "I don't think this will take all day. Let's do it now,"* unloaded the food, verified my inventory records, and went back upstairs, Dill Pickle Pringles in hand, while I, a few minutes later, went back downstairs armed with a pancake turner and a 9x13 pan, chipped off the ice, tossed it in the laundry sink, wiped out the freezer with a clean rag, and then got SH to reload the food, as I knew he wouldn't like the way I did it because he is about the pickiest, micromanaging person I have ever met.

He was very happy to cross another item off his summer chore list. How demanding I am.



* Note for the record that SH is not and has never been a "Let's do it now" person so this pretty much knocked me for a loop. He must have still been dehydrated from the stupid half marathon on Sunday.

2 comments:

Joy said...

so how'd the half marathon go?

Class factotum said...

Joy, it was not fun at all. They ran out of cups for the water at the second water stop. It was hot and humid. People were dropping like flies. SH ran almost the whole thing, but I had to walk. Never again.