Sunday, September 18, 2011

Marriage 301, Lecture 634: Better to be thought a fool


Me: What does "MwSt" mean here?

SH: I don't know.

Me: Are you going to ask the waiter?

SH: No.

Me: Why not?

SH: Because I don't want to look stupid.

Me: How is it stupid to ask about something in a foreign language in a foreign country?

SH: I don't want to. I should know what it means. I should have done my research before we came to the restaurant so I would know what's on the bill and how tipping is done.

Me: Who would think you're stupid?

SH: The waiter.

Me: You mean the waiter who will never see us again? That waiter?

SH: Yes.

Me: What if it means "tip" and then you tip him again? Then he would think you're stupid and you would have wasted money.

SH: [no response]

Me: You didn't think of it that way, did you? Would you rather look stupid and waste money or look stupid and not waste money?

SH: I dunno.

Me [to the waiter, who has returned with the credit card thingie to sign]: What does MwSt" mean?

Waiter: It is the money for the state - for the tax.

Me [triumpant]: See?

2 comments:

Dorrie said...

MwSt= Mehrwertsteuer = value added tax / sales tax; at the moment for most items 19% (food stuff, press 7%). It's already in the price on the price tag so you don't have to worry about it being added at the cash register, like in the States (which I think is so stupid..we all know the sales tax is added, so why not have it on the price tags to begin with? grrrrr), but needs to be on the receipt for income tax reporting, etc.

Class factotum said...

I know! They should just include it in the total price.