Monday, October 03, 2011

Marriage 401, Lecture 291: Putting out fires


SH [as he is packing for a work trip]: Hey. This shirt* does need to be ironed.

Me: I asked you two weeks ago if you wanted me to iron those shirts.

SH: I know.

Me: And you told me "no."

SH: But it's wrinkled.

Me: I would have ironed all of those shirts or thrown them back in the wash.

SH: Now I need it.

Me: It's 10:00 p.m. I'm not going to iron now.

SH: I should have let you iron it.

Me: I was all ready to iron those shirts the next day but you told me not to do it.

SH: I meant not to do it right then.

Me: My question was not a "Do you want these ironed NOW." It was "Do you want them ironed EVER."

SH: But I didn't need them then.

Me: But that's when it was convenient for me to iron.

SH: I didn't need them.

Me: Too bad. I'm not ironing right now. You had your chance. For future reference, the next time I ask if you want a shirt ironed, I mean do you ever want it ironed. Ever.





* I usually just hang the shirts to dry after taking them out of the wash and tossing them in the dryer for a few minutes. If you smooth the wrinkles out in the cuffs, the collar and the placket and tug the other seams, then the shirt will air dry with not very many wrinkles. For this batch of shirts, however, I had skipped the dryer step because it didn't seem necessary. I guess it was.

No comments: