Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chats du jour: I don't know if they're worth it


Things I used to be able to do before I got cats:

1. Leave butter on the counter
2. Leave pears in a bowl on the counter
3. Leave peaches in a bowl on the counter
4. Leave dirty dishes in the sink
5. Leave any food out
6. Leave the living room door open
7. Leave the upstairs door open
8. Leave the house without brushing the cat hair off my clothes
9. Go to the bathroom without Laverne whining at the door, opening the door, and jumping into my lap, then jumping to the top of the tank so she can watch the water swirl down the toilet
10. Keep jewelry in the cute pottery bowl I got in Morocco
11. Leave my computer keyboard out
12. Leave my mp3 earbuds out
13. Go on vacation without hiring a catsitter
14. Throw cashmere sweaters on the bed and leave them there until I was ready to put them away
15. Go more than a week without vacuuming
16. Leave my dad's lucky shot glasses from Vietnam on the windowill
17. Leave the compost bowl open
18. Sleep past 8:00 a.m. without being rudely awakened by demanding meowing

What are your pre-pet fond reminiscences?

7 comments:

smalltownme said...

I used to be able to eat bacon in peace.

sharon said...

I used to be able to open a can of tuna without being mobbed - now I turn on the garbage disposal to hide the sound of the can opener. It doesn't fool them.

tsweeney said...

Really? Your cats let you sleep til 8? Our three begin stomping our heads or chewing our hair around 4:30 a.m.

Before cats, I could have expensive upholstery on my living room furniture .

Christa said...

Able to read a book without jealousy rearing it's feline head.

Able to have sex without an audience.

Able to roll over in the middle of the night without angering a sleeping cat between my legs.

But I loves the little buggers.

Rubiatonta said...

Able to read in bed without a feline deciding to have a nap on my bosoms.

Able to eat roast chicken without having the cat channel Henry VIII.

Able to throw away cardboard shipping boxes as soon as they arrived.

Class factotum said...

A lot of meat-related issues here. Shirley finds meat, Laverne finds produce.

tsweeney, the cats do not sleep with us all night. SH puts them in the basement 3 or 4ish. Otherwise, they would be up at 4:30 and ticked off that 1. the window was closed 2. the door was closed and 3. I wasn't feeding them.

Sharon, I love the garbage disposal foil!

Smalltownme, it is useful to be able to shut the cats in the basement.

Christa, Laverne loves to sit on my chest when I am reading. I tell her she makes a better door than window.

Rubi, SH actually spent $80 on some cat toy once. He returned it, unused, when we realized that all we had to do was put a paper bag in the hall. The current bag has been there since June. And they are still not bored with it.

John0 Juanderlust said...

Before pets my emergency food was kept in cans. After pets, I had emergency supply of meat with names.