Friday, November 25, 2011

Wisconsin 101: The tribe of We Who Do Not Waste


I saw this guy when I was out "running" (that's the word I like to use - others might call it "trudging slower than molasses") on Thanksgiving after a breakfast of blueberry pie and white truffle mushroom pizza and a snack of brownie sundae and Fritos.

Oh don't pretend like you don't mix your salties and your sweets. Fritos are the perfect foil for chocolate. Try Fritos and chocolate chips. You will not be disappointed.

So I was out running during the fourth quarter of the Packers-Lions game and would someone please explain to me why 1. I cannot listen to the game on an FM station or 2. they cannot make an mp3 player that gets AM? I wrote to the program manager at WTMJ and told him that it was his fault if I got fat and out of shape because I had to skip exercising to stay home to listen to the game.

So I saw this guy with a van full of pumpkins and I had to ask him what the heck was going on. He explained that he'd already picked up two truckloads of pumpkins and that Thanksgiving was a great day to go pumpkin hunting because people were discarding their pumpkins but they hadn't gone bad yet.

Yes, in Milwaukee we put our pumpkins on the curb along with our leaves for the rakeout.

He stopped because there were three perfect pumpkins right there behind the Lutheran Home. Not even carved. Perfect and intact.

"I scrape out the seeds and roast them," he said. "Last year, I got twenty pounds of seeds. My grandkids love 'em. People ask me all the time about them."

My people.



PS I was able to take the photo because I brought my smartypants phone with me so I could keep up with the game. Which the Pack won.

3 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I love salty and sweet together -- M&Ms and popcorn, chocolate chips and soy nuts, etc.

scott said...

There's an app for that on Android: search for the TuneIn Radio app. It gets lots of AM stations (I think through their Internet feeds).

I know you were looking for an excuse to get a new phone...

Class factotum said...

Thanks, Scott! I have been trying to figure out how to listen to the radio on my smartypants phone.