Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ho-made Nutella

Today is a day without sugar. Why? Because yesterday was the day of the Great Homemade Nutella Adventure.

You mean you've never had homemade Nutella?

It's time.

I thought storebought Nutella was good, but I used to think that a restaurant was the only place you could get mussels, fried calamari, bone marrow, or spring rolls. Now I know those secrets and I will never again pay retail for something that is 1. dirt cheap to make and 2. easy to make.

The moral: so far, I cannot think of anything that is not better when it is homemade, including Nutella.

But here's the catch: When you are making your homemade Nutella, do not sample too much. Or else you will feel sick to your stomach until you go to bed and you will vow never to eat sugar again. It's 12:38 p.m. and I have made it thus far without sugar, that's how strong my resolve is and how crummy I felt last night. Even though the homemade Nutella is in the fridge and even though I made three kinds of Christmas cookies on Sunday and have plenty of sugar opportunities.

Anyhow, one of my readers, Gaylin, posted this recipe on the Class Factotum facebook fan page. I tried it and it is yummy. She suggested substituting espresso for the water and I said well what about bacon fat for part of the butter? Is there anything that can't be made better with bacon? I don't think so.

Bon appetit.

Chocolate Hazelnut Butter

1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (I grind them in a small food processor)

In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa and water; cook over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil while whisking for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Let cool to room temperature.

In a bowl, beat butter until light. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until fluffy and light in colour. Fold in nuts.

Spoon in to container(s), cover and keep refrigerated.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.


PS I made half a recipe but it was far less than one cup once I finally put it away. A lot less. The moral of the story is don't eat 1/4 cup of fresh homemade Nutella.


Photo credit: The Big Factotum

4 comments:

Gaylin said...

I am so glad you like it. I think I will try it with toasted almonds next time. I do give it away to a few people at Christmas time and have been told that it never makes it to the toast, they eat it with a spoon!

I had one friend who didn't put it in the fridge and it went bad, never made it for him again, what a waste!

Tish Jett said...

What is it with you and bacon?

On another note: I'm not sure I believe you about homemade Nutella. I mean, I live right here in Nutella land, maybe you people get some kind of faux Nutella shipped to you over there?

Since Andrea is home and she LOVES Nutella, I'll put her on to this outrageous idea. Don't count on us to convert.

xo,
Tish

Class factotum said...

Gaylin, that person doesn't deserve your friendship!

Tish, what's not to like about bacon?

I suspect the US Nutella is different from the European, but I usually find that homemade anything is better than bought.

Sayya26 said...

My husband recently introduced me to Nutella. What applications are there for it though? So far we just spread it on toasted bread....