Thursday, December 22, 2011

Marriage 401, Lecture 331: Don't call me, I'll call you


SH: Laverne is going to want to drink some of this egg-flavored water in this kettle.

Me: She likes flavored water.

SH: Wait. It's not even egg flavor. It's eggshell flavor. [Which it was - I had made a hardboiled egg to take to the gym for my between-class snack. Don't laugh. Hardboiled eggs are the perfect travel food and snack because they are easy to transport and eat and they are full of protein. I don't like eating sugar to sate hunger. I do like eating sugar, but as a hobby, not as a biological necessity.]

Me: As soon as you leave the sink and she thinks she can get away with it, she'll go for it.

Two minutes later, after SH has gone upstairs. Laverne jumps onto the counter, walks the narrow strip of counter next to the dish drainer, putting her right feet in the drainer, and balances herself on the edge of the sink so she can drink the eggshell flavored water.

I pick up my phone and call SH.

Oh like you wouldn't call someone in the same house? I know I am not the only lazy person in the world. I know you wouldn't actually get up and walk upstairs just to tell someone something.

I heard a deep, impatient sigh from his office before he picked up the phone.

"What?"

"Hey! I heard that."

"Heard what?"

"That deep sigh."

"Well, I was just down there! What do you want?"

"Laverne is drinking the eggshell flavored water."

He laughed. "OK, that was worth it."


Photo credit: The Big Factotum

No comments: