Monday, January 09, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 151: Compromising immunity


After SH and I have already flown from Pittsburgh to Detroit and sat next to each other during the layover. We are fifteen minutes into the Detroit-Milwaukee flight. He has heard every sneeze and sniffle that I have made.

Me: I think I might be getting sick. [Big sneeze, sniffle, sniffle, reach for the handkerchief.]

SH [recoils in horror]: What! No!

Me: Maybe.

SH: When did you realize this?

Me: What did you mean?

SH: When did you realize you might be getting sick?

Me: I don't know.

SH: But YOU KISSED ME! ON THE TRAM TO THE GATE!

Me: Yes.

SH: What if you make me sick?

Me: If your immune system is OK, you should be fine.

SH: Did you know you were getting sick before you kissed me?

Me: I don't know.

SH: How can you not know?

Me: I don't know.

SH: When did you know?!

Me: Fine. I knew when I told you, OK? Now be quiet.

SH: If I get sick, I'll be annoying.

Long stare from me to him.

Me: You are already annoying.

SH: I'll be more annoying.

Me: That's not even possible. However, there's your answer: Would I deliberately cause myself the grief that your being sick brings with it? I would never kiss you thinking I might be infecting you. Unless I was about to leave town and wouldn't have to deal with you.

2 comments:

Evelynne said...

Oh, gosh, every time I read this line I start laughing out loud again.

"SH: But YOU KISSED ME! ON THE TRAM TO THE GATE!"

I can totally identify with SH on this one. :)

Rubiatonta said...

Cooties!