Friday, March 02, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 39: You're Not Doing It Right


SH: Hey! You're stacking the dishes wrong! There's plenty more room for more dishes in there but you've got small dishes on top of the big dishes.

Me: That's because I have been washing them in batches.

SH: You're not optimizing the dish stacking.

Me: That's because I'm doing them in batches. If I waited to do them all at once, you would say I'm doing that wrong - that I'm a Not Dish Doer.

SH: It's OK to batch them. But only if you wait about 30 minutes before you do them. If you wait longer than that, like two or three hours, then you're Not Doing It Right.

Me: If you want to be in charge of washing all the dishes in this house, be my guest.

5 comments:

Gaylin said...

I figure if the dishes get clean, any way of doing them is right. This reminded me of my ex-husband and his claim that I didn't vacuum 'right'. Apparently you were supposed to always line up the vacuum head parallel to the closest wall and keep vacuuming in perfectly straight lines. I figure I am vacuuming right if I hear bits of stuff getting picked up!

webb said...

I haven't vacuumed in years because I don't do it right. I'm all for equity in chores and if he doesn't like how I do it, I am happy to allow him to do it right.

Class factotum said...

Gaylin, I, too, worry more about results than about process.

Webb, I have told SH over and over that if he does not like how I do things that he is welcome to be in charge. He has yet to take me up on the offer.

LPC said...

Oh the dishwashing thing. I hate dishes in the sink, which means, of course, that my loading is suboptimal. We have resorted to a final reorg by The Optimizer.

Class factotum said...

LPC, you're not doing it right.