Sunday, April 29, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 317: The golden rule

SH: You're cleaning that [fancy brushed stainless steel] trash can just because your sister is coming.

Me: What? No. I do that every week.

SH: No you don't.

Me: Yes I do. I clean it with windex or else it looks nasty. It gets really dusty and covered with cat hair.

SH: That's something that wouldn't happen if I were the stay at home spouse.

Me: What do you mean?

SH: I would clean to my standards, not yours.

Me: Oh. So you think that all I do around here is what I want? That there is nothing I do just because you want me to do it?

SH: Yep. You just do what you want to do.

Me: I am unfettered by your wishes. I make decisions based only on my desires. I am free, free as a bird. That's what you think?

SH: Yep.

Me: You are so, so full of crap.

Later.

SH: You mean you weren't satisfied with my standards of cleaning of cleaning in the apartment?

Me: Nope.

SH: I cleaned before you came.

Me: It was still not clean enough.

SH: It was for me.

2 comments:

webb said...

I always say that s/he who has the higher standards needs to do the bulk of the cleaning.

Fortunately, usually Mitchell does.

Class factotum said...

webb, maybe I should just close my eyes and let the house rot.