Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 325: Optimizing whining


SH: Would you do me a favor?

Me: Sure.

SH: Would you get the stuff I put in the dryer while I finish shaving?

Me: OK.

When I'm in the basement, I gather the shirts I had hung up to dry the other day - five of SH's buttondowns and three t-shirts.

SH: I should have known you would do more than just get the stuff from the dryer.

Me, preening, thinking he is going to compliment me on my efficiency, my drive always to do a little more than necessary, my desire to be a good housekeeper: Thank you.

SH: No! I meant that now I have to fold those shirts!

Me: Oh it's so hard for you to be married to me. How long is it going to take you to fold those?

SH: That's not the point. Why do something now when I can put it off until tomorrow?

No comments: