Saturday, May 05, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 641: He married me for other reasons


My sister and her new beau came to visit this weekend. He - henceforth known as "Matt" - had business in the area and she, aka as "Jenny" as his Southwest companion, came along for nothing.

The nice thing about a visiting sister is the standards are looser. I know, I know. You should be as nice to your family as you are to your friends, but come on. You know you let things slide with family the way you wouldn't with people whose love you have to earn. Although we did put clean wax paper in the microwave. We are not complete slobs.

But I didn't make the bed in the guest room. I waited until they arrived, and then asked if they preferred cotton or flannel sheets.And then I left them to it.

I did, of course, clean the bathroom. Who doesn't clean the bathroom before guests arrive? Gross people, that's who. I always clean the tub and the toilet and the sink in the guest bath. I shudder at the idea of taking a shower in a dirty tub. I have done so, when I traveled through Latin America after the Peace Corps, staying in the F and G hotels in the South American Handbook. It's a good thing I'm nearsighted and couldn't see a lot of what I was standing in, but I saw enough and sometimes, you just have to suck it up and be glad that your shots are up to date. Ever since then, though, I have vowed that I will not bathe in a dirty tub and I will not ask my guests to do so, either.

SH got home and hugged Jenny. I had just hugged her and had noticed how different it was from hugging SH.

"It's not like hugging me, is it?" I asked him.

He shook his head and laughed. "Oh, no!"

"It's a completely different experience, isn't it?"

"Yessssss," he nodded.

And she got the makeup and accessory genes and naturally curly hair. And she was smart enough to choose a profession that can't be outsourced. But I still love her.









Blogger, if you are reading this, I HATE YOUR NEW INTERFACE. You fascists. I know I can't complain too much about a free product, but please explain to me why you felt compelled to fix something that wasn't broken. Have you been talking to facebook?

8 comments:

G in Berlin said...

I already sent them a complaint: I hate the new interface with a passion. Although not as much as T*m*el*n*e. Note the asterisks, because I am afraid they will track my ip and force me on it.

Class factotum said...

I just figured out that I can get the old interface back! When you're in the dashboard, click around. I think I clicked on the thing that looks like a gear and got a dropdown menu that had the option of the old interface. Of course, I can't test it because I am now back in the old interface.

Chris said...

Oh, sweet old interface via gear... here I come...

ann.about.town said...

Maintain the rage...

John0 Juanderlust said...

I sure hope you didn't leave the Good Salt out for mere family to abuse.
Facebook is the devil, and it has obviously led google and blogger astray.

Class factotum said...

John0, I have repented of my selfish, Good Salt hoarding ways. You showed me the proper path.

Joy said...

Google is probably doing the same thing with Blogger that it did with Gmail- switch to a horrible, useless, pointless new interface, let you keep the old good interface for awhile via the gear, and then suddenly permanently switch you with no revert option via the gear.

I love that picture of you. It looks eerily like one of me and my sister when we were little. I was also the white-blond pudgy one.

Class factotum said...

Joy, and now I'm mousy brown shot with gray. Oh well.