Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wisconsin 101: Early = On Time

As I am waiting for the recruiter to call for my 9:00 a.m. phone interview.

Yes! I got an interview! I have to thank Alison at Ask a Manager for her great advice on cover letters. It was my cover letter, which I wrote based on her sample cover letters, that got me the interview. It's not your traditional cover letter, rehashing the resume. Instead, I talked about how I was not the right person for the job they had posted but I would be great reporting to that person. I also talked about using chocolate to motivate people and I directly addressed why I want to return to work after six years of gold digging.

The first thing the guy said when he called to schedule the interview was, "I loved your cover letter! It was delightful."

So anyway. SH was setting up the downstairs house phone/land line, which is usually his business line, with the headset so I could talk and use the computer at the same time. I had to be able to see my notes from six years ago. I can hardly remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so I'm really glad I saved a lot of the documentation from my old job. I'd forgotten a lot of the cool things I did.

SH: What time is he supposed to call?

Me: Nine o'clock.

SH: It's 8:45 now. He should be calling any second. This is Wisconsin.

3 comments:

webb said...

Hope it went well. I love the cover letter ideas. I've read way too many bad ones over the years. It sounds like you got good advice. Fingers crossed.

Joy said...

Congratulations! We always have to tell relatives that the appointed starting time for a family gathering is at least half an hour later than it really is so that they don't show up before the food is done/we're dressed. Which frankly, I prefer to having to tell chronically late people that the starting time is earlier than it is.

Keep us posted on the job search!

Class factotum said...

Thanks, guys!

Webb, I haven't heard anything back from this guy one way or another. I'm trying to stay hopeful because at least he hasn't told me thanks but no thanks.

Joy, do you have early midwestern relatives, too? I had one guy show up while I was still in the shower!