Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 698: Gaslighting


SH [as he is packing for a trip]: Where are my jean shorts?

Me: I don't know.

SH: I can't find them.

Me: I thought I washed them the other day and put them on your dresser.

SH: They're not here.

Me: I don't know.

SH: What did you do with them?

Me: I would have left them on your dresser.

SH: Did they get mixed in with your things?

Me: No. Did you put them back in the laundry?

SH: I'll go downstairs and check.

[Note. What I am not able to convey here is the sense of drama and urgency about recovering these shorts. Maybe I should be writing in ALL CAPS and using LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!]

SH: They're not there!

Me: I don't know, sweetie. Why don't you just take your khaki shorts instead?

SH: Because I have to know what happened to the jeans shorts!

Me: Well, there has been a rash of robberies a few blocks over.

SH: Are you saying someone stole my shorts off the clothesline? And nothing else?

Me: It could happen. It happens in murder mysteries all the time.

SH: Maybe I left them at my mom and dad's last week.

Me: That's probably it.

SH: No. I bet they were stolen.

No comments: