Monday, June 18, 2012

Sometimes, you think, "Maybe violence IS the answer"

I just have to share this with you. This is for real - I got it from someone I know and trust completely, plus I have been hearing about this lady (the president) for a while. For example, she insists on heating the association outdoor pool late in the season (well after summer), when she is the only person to swim in it - but everyone has to pay the bill and watch the steam come off the water.

What I don't get is how she got re-elected. Maybe she wasn't. Maybe she's still in her first term.

From person 1:

I live next to The President of the HOA. I have had to listen to the the drone of their air conditioning that sits on their patio right next to mine and runs all summer almost 24/7 for the last 5 years. I have had a couple of conversations with them indicating if there is possibly a solution to this problem as the covenants clearly state that air conditioners are to be on the ground next to the house.They are the only ones at 123 Main Dr that have their air conditioning on their patio. I cannot enjoy my patio and can never have any guests over because their air conditioning is so loud.

If anyone knows a solution to this problem I would appreciate some feed back.

I politely went over to their house this evening to ask if possibly they could not run it as much because they run it with the windows open and even when there is a nice cool breeze outside. This is the response I got from [the president]. This is not a HOA where everyone should be treated and represented equally...we all pay the same dues...but a dictatorship! I'm ready for a change are you?

The unedited (except for the names) response from the president of the HOA:

Friday, 9pm
Margie,
This is to END any communication between you and the 3 of us regarding the AIR CONDITIONER.

You will not speak to any of us if you see us outside nor will you ever again rap at my front door.
There will be NO COMMUNICATION between you and us - ABOUT ANY SUBJECT - from this point forward.

How dare you think that you can randomly, constantly badger us about THE AIR CONDITIONER. IT IS WHERE IT WAS 6 YEARS AGO WHEN YOU MOVED HERE AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE WHERE IT CURRENTLY IS FOR AS LONG AS WE LIVE HERE. PERIOD.

You are truly obsessed with this issue and there is no other way to deal with you - How dare you tell us when we can run our air conditioner!

Sue is only trying to be "nice" to you and frankly, it just needs to end - it is what it is and there is NOTHING we are going to do about it - PERIOD. Your passive-aggressive badgering is not going to continue to cause stress in my family. It ends now.

[President]

End correspondence

PS I want to know what "nice" is and how it is different from nice.

8 comments:

deb said...

Wow!

I'd say polite, objective (as in citing the covenants) emails to the entire board might be the only avenue left available. Well, that is other than moving.

John0 Juanderlust said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John0 Juanderlust said...

I vote violence, but figure out how to blame someone else

Joy said...

Whoa. Madame President long ago departed for Crazyland. I agree with Deb that it seems like the entire board should be contacted with a scrupulously non-emotional message citing the covenants in detail. It also might be worth checking to see if there are any city ordinances Mme. President could be violating (with the AC or anything else). For example, in NYC, you can't install a window AC unit in a window that's next to the fire escape. Obviously, Margie is dealing with detached homes on lots rather than multifamily apartment buildings, but there might be some sort of suburban analogue, maybe having to do with size of AC unit relative to size of home/lot, maybe a noise ordinance.

By the way, badgering cannot be both random and constant.

Joy said...

Oh, and Margie should definitely be documenting every interaction, if she isn't already.

Jen on the Edge said...

Holy moly. I think some vandalism is in order.

Class factotum said...

You guys have some excellent suggestions. I will pass them on to the appropriate party.

Joy, I especially agree with this: "badgering cannot be both random and constant." If you're going to be a bully, make sure your writing is impeccable.

webb said...

Yo! lawyer required here.

The letter to the entire board needs to come from someone who can read the HOA documents and quote from both them and the local real estate ordinances. That letter is totally out of line and should not be responded to by this lady. I know it will cost money, but sometimes you just need an expert.

ps: I am not a lawyer!