Thursday, June 07, 2012

Wisconsin 101:This is how we cook - the winters are long and harsh here

I know I told you guys I wasn't going to cook this weekend (I am writing this on Sunday, even though it's not going up for a few days), but I lied. I made oven-fried chicken and rosemary whole-wheat bread. I started making the chicken after a late breakfast on Saturday when I hadn't washed the breakfast dishes yet, which makes SH nuts.

"You just can't stand to have a clean kitchen, can you?" he asked.

I don't know why he cares so much. If he thinks there is too much chaos in the kitchen, he can leave. Besides, as I have reminded him, if he wants to eat good food - and who doesn't? - then someone has to cook it. I don't like going out that much because it takes so long to get everything done. The inefficiency of eating out makes me crazy.

And I will not buy prepared foods from the grocery store. Except hummus. If it's on sale. But most of that stuff is crap. I am a far better cook than Sara Lee or Kraft or whoever makes those half-cooked things.

And while we're on the subject - have you noticed how hard it is to find just plain canned tomatoes these days? You can get diced tomatoes with basil or with Mexican seasonings* - because it's so hard to add your own basil to whatever you're cooking? People! COOKING IS NOT THAT HARD!! If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Where was I?

Oh. Right. I was pulling the skin off some of the chicken because I usually don't eat chicken skin. Not because I don't like it but because I have already outgrown my pre-marriage wardrobe and enough's enough.

I left the skin on half the thighs, though, because SH has the metabolism of a blast furnace, which makes me seriously doubt the existence of God.

So I had all this chicken skin and it was Sunday and trash pickup isn't until Wednesday. I didn't want to put it in the trash outside because that would be just gross and our poor trash guys suffer enough what with the kitty litter, which reminds me, I need to get them a case of beer as an almost-summertime tip.

Then I saw the frying pan on the stove, the pan we had used for bacon. I had poured off most of the bacon grease in the bacon grease jar that lives in the fridge (don't make me tell you again how you need to save your bacon grease - what else are you going to use for cooking your mustard greens?), but the pan still had a little bit of grease in it.

So I did what any rational person would do: I fried the chicken skins in the bacon grease and made a fried chicken-skin sandwich for SH.

And he loved it.





* Of course there is the Ro-Tel exception because Ro-Tel tomatoes are an essential ingredient in Ro-Tel dip.

3 comments:

webb said...

Perhaps if he dislikes your cooking in a messy kitchen ... HE could do the dishes?

I'm with you. Except for rotel, "flavored" tomatoes are disgusting! They taste me like chemicals than seasoning.

Joy said...

For some reason, I've found that fancy grocery stores are much better than standard supermarkets at carrying unflavored tomatoes. Is there a Whole Foods in Tosa or vicinity?

Class factotum said...

Webb, he does the dishes as a way of not doing other things he should be doing! I think he should just stay out of the kitchen.

Joy, there is a WF here, but it's not convenient. They do have good (and not outrageously expensive) store brands.