Saturday, July 21, 2012

Employed at last, #1


Well, you guys, it looks like I am an employed person. Like my last good job, I had an offer three days after my interview.

My last bad job, which was at a sweatshop in Miami, working in the corporate finance group of a major transportation and logistics company (I have heard it is bad form to badmouth previous employers, so I won't be using any names, but come on - we've all had crummy bosses and jobs before and hey, this is not an interview), came only after a months-long ordeal of canceled phone interviews (by them, without notice) and a really bad office visit. I should have heeded the signs - the job turned out to be a nightmare where I worked from 7:15 a.m. to at least 7:00 p.m. and usually later, doing really important things like removing the staples from the left side of the presentation for the board of directors and stapling the right side. Apparently, nobody had figured out that copy machines can be programmed to staple on one side or the other and thought it was a good use of salaried employee time to be removing staples.

The other thing I could never figure out was why it mattered so much which side the staple was on. Someone said that one of the directors had said something once, but I'll bet he did not say it thinking, "Aha! I really want to make junior analysts stay at work until past 10:00 p.m., standing in the basement in the print room, checking documents and staple locations!"

I hated that job. HATED IT.

And yet, knowing what I know, I still would have taken it because I had been looking for a job for over a year and had not found a thing. I needed work.

And sometimes, that's the reason you take a job: because you need work. Not because you are seeking emotional fulfillment or because you want to make a contribution but because 1. you need money and 2. you need health insurance. That's why people put up with crummy working conditions.

That crummy job? Over 100% turnover in the year and a day that I was there.

Let's hope that is not the situation with this new job.

7 comments:

LPC said...

Aren't congratulations in order?

Yes? Hooray!

class factotum said...

Thanks L!

deb said...

Yippeeeee! When do you start?

wellfedfred said...

Congratulations!

webb said...

Great news. Hope this one turns out well this time.

Joy said...

Congratulations! It's such a relief to be employed after looking for a long time. I hope the job provides both a paycheck AND a bit of satisfaction.

Class factotum said...

Thanks, you guys. I hope it's fun and rewarding, too, as I am surrendering my freedom to work! (I know, I know. No whining about having had such great fortune for the past few years.)