Monday, July 16, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 277: How did I survive without him?


This is the facebook message I got from SH after lunch:

I just hung the sheets (and towel) out on the line.
I am 47 years old, and before today I had NEVER done laundry and hung anything out to dry on a line. (I used to hang my shirts, but only inside.)
It's starting to look as if it may rain, and there is some rain on the radar. If it rains with that laundry out there (which we need), I will take that as a sign that I am not supposed to hang laundry out on a line.

I responded: No,.you will take it as a sign that you can bring rain

SH: It is raining (and thundering). I had to take the laundry down; I got out there before it started to rain hard, but the laundry is no drier (and maybe a bit wetter) than it was before I put it out there.
I have work to do this afternoon; I may or may not have a chance to put the laundry back outside. I may end up putting it in the dryer.

When I got home, the sheets were in the laundry basket behind the back door. I hung them out again and threw a load of darks in the machine. As I was hanging them on the line, SH came outside to kibbutz.

SH: That's not how I do it.

Me: I know.

SH: We do things completely differently.

Me: No sh*t. Here, hang these up.

SH: What?!

Me: Oh. I'm sorry. Am I asking too much for you to hang up your own underwear?

SH: You should have just put those on the drying rack in the basement.

Me: Maybe. But then I would have to sort everything out before I put it in the basket.

SH: That's how I do it. Did you notice that all the socks are matched? As I pull everything out of the washer, I make sure I have it matched and organized.

Me: Wow, Sheldon.



Photo: http://smileq8dotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sheldon.jpg

2 comments:

webb said...

An idea for Sheldon. I used to have a boss who pinned all his socks together at the toe in pairs. He would take a pair out of the drawer, lay the pin on his dresser and at night re-pin them before they went into the dryer. He was so proud of his system, that he would explain it to anyone. I think it might appeal to you...

Class factotum said...

Webb, I will suggest that to him. I think it's a great idea for someone who cares about this stuff. As in, he may do it, but I will not.