Monday, July 09, 2012

Wisconsin 101: This is not how we usually do it, part 2

Did I tell you guys about the other job interview I had? Where I had to do word problems?

You know the nightmare: you are in a room and you are told that you can't get out until you solve all the word problems.

OK, that's not a standard nightmare. I've never had it. The one I usually have is that it is the last week of school and I just realized that I never dropped that class that I stopped attending after the second week of school and there is a final and I am completely unprepared for it.

Also, I can't find my locker.

But surely someone has nightmares about word problems.

So before I could have an interview, I had to pass an intelligence test. This was an online test with several sections. There was the detect the pattern in the letters section, the detect the pattern in the graphics section, and then the word problems section.

I could have done any of the word problems in about two seconds. When I was in 8th grade.

But I have not done much word probleming since then, although YES! You do use algebra in real life!

There were the train problems: Train A leaves the station at 10 a.m. and Train B, blah blah blah.

There were the lease vs buy problems. There were the payroll problems. There were the how many cubic yards of mulch to buy problems.

I could do most of them because hello, they're simple logic, but the clock was ticking down and I knew if I didn't get a good score on the test, I wouldn't get an interview and then I'd never get a job and everything would be crap.

The only problems that were super easy for me were the shopping questions because I do those in my head all the time: The shoes were originally $160. There was a 15% off sale and you have a coupon for 30% off. How much will you pay?

Of course, the truly logical next question is not, "Does the coupon apply to the original price or the discounted?" even though we all know that it's going to apply to the discounted price because you pay more that way. No, the real question is, "Do they even have this shoe in an 8.5 and can I find a salesman to get it for me?"

I'll tell you more about all this tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous Mother said...

You INHERITED your recurring dream! Just think, you get to have that same dream--with slight variations--for at least the next 20 years! I'm STILL trying to find my locker or remember the combination. And although I NEVER started a class and then dropped it, I still can't find the darn administration office so that I can tell them I dropped the class so I won't get an F on my report card. AND I can almost never find my dorm room, although it's in that building SOME place . . .

Anonymous said...

I have a similar dream, even though I've been out of college for 30 years....it's the last semester before graduation--it's finals, I've not even been to the class & can't find the room where the final is being given & I need these credits to graduate in 4 years....sigh....white chocolate

Anonymous Mother said...

Okay, so MAYBE it's GENETIC???

Gauss said...

Actually, about that coupon... If the sale and the coupon stack, it doesn't matter which one you apply first - you end up paying the same amount. Sorry, math teacher here and couldn't help myself!

Class factotum said...

Thanks for the genes, Mom and WC!

Gauss, it doesn't matter if both of them apply to the original price. But sometimes, it's 20% off original price and then 15% off the marked down price. Which is not as good, obviously.