Monday, August 27, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 121: Maybe this is how to get things done


During our fight the other day, I pointed out calmly (because I am the one writing this story, it is my version you will get) that SH is in the habit of making promises to me that he does not keep. We had this conversation:

SH: Name one!

Me [looking at the HoneyDo list on the fridge]: You never put in the garden lights, although maybe that's not so bad because my garden is awful this year. You still haven't cleaned out your crap in the basement.

SH: The basement doesn't matter! There's space!

Me: You have not put a coat of sealant on the balcony.

SH: Yet. I haven't done it yet. There's still time before winter.

Me: You won't empty the soda out of these Coke cans we got in Morocco and you don't want me to do it.

SH: You wouldn't do it right.

Me: Because it's so hard to put a small hole in the bottom of a can to drain it?

SH: I haven't had time. None of these are time sensitive. They're not important.

Me: Why can't it be important just because I want it?

SH: There's nothing urgent about them.

Me: Then quit promising you'll do things if you have no intention of doing them.

SH: Fine.

Me: FINE.

When I got home from work on Friday, SH came downstairs.

SH [proudly]: Look!

Me: What?

SH: The cans. The cans are gone. I emptied them for you.

Me: You did it just because I wanted you to?

SH: Yes. Don't say I never do anything.

No comments: