Friday, August 31, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 225: Parking ticket getter



You guys know the rules of panicking, right? Or the rules of how to approach a crisis? You know that SH and I vary on our rules.

His rules, roughly summarized, are these:

1. Panic.
2. Freak out
3. Assign blame.
4. Do a root cause analysis for the purposes of assigning blame and, not as important, preventing the problem from occurring again.
5. Solve the problem.

My rules:

1. Solve the problem.
2. Will this be an ongoing problem? Is it likely to be repeated? If the answer to these questions is "no," then forget the problem ever happened.
3. If the answer is "yes," then figure out what's wrong in the process, fix it, and then forget the problem ever happened.

So how do you think I reacted when SH told me he had gotten a parking ticket last week? After he got a parking ticket in May?

How do you think SH would have reacted if I had gotten the ticket?

You know there would be freaking out and assigning of blame.

May I note for the record that I have gotten only one parking ticket in my life - and got towed, to boot, but that was in 1982?

Did I panic? Did I assign blame? Did I do a root cause analysis?

Nope. I just rolled my eyes and said, "Please stop doing that. I could be spending that money on shoes."

No comments: