Friday, August 03, 2012

Marriage 401, Lecture 328: Rock star


SH: One of my rocks is missing.

These are the rocks he brought back from Madeline Island. He started out with six, of which he was supposed to pick just one to bring back, but ended up with all six, plus another handful that he collected on our last walk on the beach, which preceded watching the sunset, getting caught in the rain, and drinking pina coladas.

Me: How do you know?

He had put the paper place containing the rocks on his dresser when we got home last night. As soon as he left the room, Shirley jumped up onto the dresser to see what was what. We have had to remove almost all small items from our counters and our dressers - anything that can be knocked down by a 6 1/2 pound cat has been put away.

There are many things that can be knocked down by a six 1/2 pound cat. Many, many things.

Including rocks. Even Lake Superior rocks.

I heard a thud, then a whack, then more loud whacks and bangs as Shirley batted the rock around under the bed on the wood floor.

I grabbed the plate of rocks and put it in the dining room, which is the cat DMZ. No cats in the dining room. Not that there haven't been many cat attempts to breach the barrier. Not that SH doesn't leave the door open and is then shocked, shocked! that the cats got into the living room, making a beeline for one of the few nice pieces of furniture we own, a wing chair I had reupholstered four years ago. The cats love to claw on that.

But Shirley is still batting around her rock. I finally found it - I had to put on my glasses before I could spy it - and rather than make the long trip to the dining room from the bedroom, I just tossed it into my nightstand.

It's just a rock.

SH: One of my rocks is missing.

Me: How do you know?

SH: Because I counted them. There are supposed to be 15, but there are only 14.

Me: You know how many rocks you brought back with you?

SH: Of course. [pause] Are you surprised?

Me: No, Sheldon.

1 comment:

Lindy D. said...

I've always wanted to go to Madeleine Island for vacation but it is so faaaar away. Was it worth the drive?