Sunday, August 05, 2012

Wisconsin 101: My Milwaukee Roll


I've started dieting again. Months of using half and half and eating cheese with impunity have caught up to me. My sister is getting married in a few months and I do not want to have to buy a new dress. I already have nice dresses, thank you very much. I just need to fit into them.

Dieting for me is not hard. It's just boring. I know what I need to do to lose weight. For me, it's simple: eat less. I already eat (mostly) healthful food and exercise. I just eat too much healthful food. And half and half.

But I know which foods keep me from getting hungry and are also nutritious. It's a lot of hard-boiled eggs, grilled chicken breasts (marinated in mojo at least, so there is some flavor), and beans.

I found sparkpeople based on Jen on the Edge's recommendation. It's a site where you track your food and exercise. I love measuring things and tracking progress and this is a lot easier than keeping handwritten notes and guessing about calorie counts.

Although I do take issue with sparkpeople's assertion that two cups of white beans have 613 calories. Come on.

Here's the drawback with dieting: If you forget the lunch you packed the night before because you are so tired from getting only six hours of sleep - thank you fellow citizens who spoke and spoke and spoke at a meeting the night before, then it is harder to eat healthful food.

I forgot my lunch. And my breakfast. I am not interested in eating breakfast at 6 a.m. when I get up, so I just bring a few hard-boiled eggs with me to work.

I have had a very hungry day. I bought a latte from the coffee machine and ate a spoonful of peanut butter from the emergency peanut butter that I keep stored in my desk, but that only took me so far.

I tried to buy a not-too unnutritious lunch, but I was torn between price and protein. The sandwiches were seven dollars. SEVEN DOLLARS! That's a lot. That's almost an hour of work at minimum wage. The salads didn't have any meat but were also about seven dollars. For lettuce.

Then I spied some chia seed pudding. Chia seed, ground cashew, and agave. The sign next to it claimed that chia seeds are very high in protein. Protein was what I wanted, especially protein that was only $2.99.

I bought it.

I ate it.

It was so sweet it almost made me sick to my stomach. But I ate it all because this was my lunch.

It didn't last.

At 3:35, I finally went downstairs to the vending machines, where I saw a vending machine gyro.

Let me translate that for you: I saw a meat product. In a vending machine.

And yet I bought it.

I bought vending-machine meat.

For $2.25.

I ate some.

It was disgusting. Imagine vending-machine meat and that's what it was.

I threw most of it away.

But SparkPeople said that I still at 350 calories of gyro.

And I spent almost six dollars on crummy food anyhow.

I should have bought the seven-dollar sandwich.

2 comments:

webb said...

It is SO hard when you work! so hard. I am currently cutting out all snacks - well, all but one grande iced coffee with sugar-free vanilla (80 cals) each afternoon.

But it sounds like you are on the right track. good luck. www.MyFitnessPal.com is another good tracking site.

Fijufic said...

Oh dieting is such an ass pain. I see the best results with my friends who eat 7 times a day...Crazy.