Monday, September 24, 2012

Marriage 501, Lecture 61: Homemade

SH: Oh no!

Me: What?

SH: These shoes [that he ordered online] are made in China.

For new readers - we are trying very hard not to buy things made in China because 1. we don't want to support slave labor and 2. we would rather those manufacturing jobs stay in the US. Yes, I know it's like trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon, but there you go.

What this means for me is that I buy Italian shoes.

Me: Are you going to send them back?

SH: I got two pair. The second pair is made in the US.

Me: I see.

SH: I guess it's better to have one pair made in the US and one pair made in China than to have two pairs made in Indonesia.

Me: It's like carbon offsets.

2 comments:

Fijufic said...

Um...Who knows?

John0 Juanderlust said...

Many companies that market products made in China employ people here and have a sizable domestic presence. Due to US tax policy and over regulation they could not function and they would not have the US workforce that they have if not for using Chinese factories. Labor cost is not the overriding be-all, end-all consideration.
Our policies have run manufacturing out of the country, much like CA's policies are running companies out of state.
Not that I think it is a good development. But I do think cause and effect is largely ignored.