Friday, September 07, 2012

The working life: Good lessons


Important things I have learned this week:

1. Make sure you are logged out of LinkedIn before you googlestalk your old boyfriend's wife. Whom of course you know who she is because you know how to do research and who you think is not the woman he introduced as his wife when you ran into him almost 20 years ago. You could have sworn her name was Miranda and this wife is a Kate. And you thought you found a divorce record years ago, but now you can't. Thanks, State of Alabama for getting serious about internet security.

Of course you know all these things - you didn't have a job and were very, very bored.

You only googlestalked this week because you had a weird dream about the old boyfriend, which made you curious.

2. Riding the bus before and after regular work hours is easy, quiet, and free of drama.

3. Riding the bus at 7:30 p.m. is when the drunks start to come out.

4. Riding the bus at 3:18 is when all the kids get out of school. It's been a long, long time since I was on a bus with high school kids. Lord have mercy they are loud.

5. Men in the US spread their legs way too wide on the bus, too. They hog up half of my air space. It's not theirs. It's MINE. Keep your legs on your side of the leg space.

3 comments:

Gaylin said...

I altered my work hours to leave at 4:45, just missing the herds of people who get off work at 5. Not as many Canadian men sit with their legs wide open on the bus, the seats are narrow and I know I will push for my damn space!

There are 4 different buses that will get me reasonable close to home, I try to take the ones NOT going to the university because university kids are also loud.

Personally I want to win the lottery. Taking the bus is getting old.

Rubiatonta said...

RE: #5 -- look down at crotchular area, then up at face with an amused air, and say, "That big, huh?"

Works every time.

Class factotum said...

Gaylin, I, too, want to win the lottery! Even if I could drive to work, I'd rather stay home.

Rubi - I am going to have to try that some day. I need to work up the courage.