Saturday, September 08, 2012

The working life: I miss sleep


You guys, I'm tired. I got up at 8:15, which gave me almost ten hours of sleep, which still was not enough. Last night, SH was hoping for [wxyz], but I wanted to sleep.

If you had asked me when I was 20 years old and in the throes of my first love if I would ever pick sleep over [wxyz], I would have laughed. I could not even imagine how someone could pick sleep. Who wants sleep when [wxyz] is available?

But when he came downstairs at 10:15, I already had the lights out. I had warned him - at 9:45, I shouted up the stairs that I was going to bring Laverne in and then I was going to turn out the lights.

I guess he didn't believe me.

That's the price you pay for my going back to work and getting up at 6:00 a.m. every morning, I told him.Link
I didn't want to get up at 8:15, but Laverne, whom Jen asked, when we were talking on the phone, "Is that even a mammal? It sounds like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and [something else that I don't remember, but a very noisy animal]," wanted to be let out of the basement when SH had cruelly imprisoned her the night before, as he does every night, because if he does not, she and Shirley wake up at 5:00 a.m. and start pawing at the blinds so they can see outside - because our back yard is riveting, I tell you - and clawing at the chair and knocking things off the dresser. If they would just sleep until we want to get up, they could stay with us, but we have been unable to explain that, as they do not speak English.

Our next cats will be domestic so we do not have this communication problem.

So I'm tired because I got up too early and then I peeled two pounds of shrimp to make shrimp curry and then I noticed the cauliflower was going bad so I roasted it and then SH got two gallons of milk instead of just one because they were on super sale so I am making yogurt because we don't have enough quart containers to freeze all that milk. Then I did five loads of laundry, washed the kitchen floor and the bathroom floor, cleaned the cat vomit off the basement landing, cleaned the tub and the toilet, did all the dishes, and other stuff I can't remember.

The most recent event is that I left the cabinet door by my seat open so when I sat down at the computer, my butt hit the top edge of the cabinet door and ripped my jeans. So now I am tired and ticked off.

5 comments:

ann.about.town said...

Welcome back to the world of work.

Class factotum said...

Oh Ann. This is not my favorite. At least before I was married, I didn't have to worry about anyone else.

webb said...

You're working now. Hire someone to come in once a week to clean the cat vomit. Seriously.

Class factotum said...

Webb, I would love to hire a cleaning lady, but unfortunately, our current financial situation prohibits such a luxury!

pam said...

Then ignore the cat vomit. Or ignore the kitchen floor. Or ignore something, like the extra milk that might spoil. You're going to drive yourself crazy, or SH will, but neither is a good option.

Let something go...while you still have the choice of what it is.