Saturday, November 24, 2012

The working life: The customer in England


What the customer in England and I talked about for 15 minutes before finally taking care of business in three.

1. Whether we would address each other as Mr and Ms or by our first names. (I always start with the title when I am writing emails. If the other person calls me by my first name, I switch to his first name, unless he - you know the he/she is implied, right? I get tired of that - has a PhD, in which case I use the title because some people - some, but none of my friends - get very touchy about that and why alienate someone unnecessarily?)

2. The weather in our respective areas.

3. Sad how nobody writes these days, isn't it? Kids aren't even being taught cursive. They just email and use text-speak. The lost art of the thank-you and condolence note.

4. How does his group prevent cheating on their online classes? Well, there is language that a 21-year-old just wouldn't use, or, more specifically, first-hand knowledge she wouldn't have. Plus there are online programs that check.

5. He's not English, he's Welsh.

6. What the word "fanny" means here vs there.

7. Nope, it wouldn't matter if I said it around his mum because she's "with the fairies."

8. Alzheimer's.

9. He'll have to wait until Monday for an answer because the guy who can answer it is hunting.

10. No, he's not posh.

11. Ah. In England, it is the posh people who hunt. They hunt foxes and grouse. Foxes aren't even eaten.

12. Everyone hunts here, not just posh people. Different kinds of hunting by class, of course: some people hunt for deer for food, others pay thousands of dollars to hunt sheep and elephants. Which, I suppose are also edible, but I don't think anyone who hunts in Africa is bringing shrink-wrapped elephant back to put in his chest freezer in the basement. The Arkansas factory of the my previous job used to shut down completely the first week of hunting season.

13. If he comes to Milwaukee, I will feed him some of my uncle's venison bratwurst.





3 comments:

cyndee said...

One of my friends is from England and on her first flight to the USA, she and her husband were sitting next to a very talkative woman. When midway thru the flight the woman complained about her "fanny" really feeling tired and numb, Denise almost lost it. Those Americans, why would they talk about their vagina to a perfect stranger or anyone for that matter? I love cultural differences.

Pondside said...

I love the differences - they remind me that the world hasn't gone completely homogenized.

webb said...

Grew up in Tennessee and Virginia so i totally qualified as being from the South, but my brother lives in Georgia and is totally SOUTHERN. Fridat, he and his son hunted deer in the morning and doves in the afternoon. They considered going again on Saturday, but stayed home to visit with us.

Its definitely a regional thing and not limited to thesouth.

Sounds like you and your client are on theway tobeing friends. How nice.