Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Marriage 501, Lecture 521: Today I am a man


SH: I can't give her any more money.

Me: Bless her heart, she is not a good money manager.

SH: Well - she couldn't have anticipated this.

Me: No, but you can never anticipate bad things. Which is why you plan for bad things and then are relieved when they don't happen. But you still have a plan. Just in case.

SH: You have a plan for if I die!

Me: Of course I do. 

SH: No, I mean you have a detailed plan!

Me: Yep. One of the first things to happen is I ditch all your crap in the basement, including the Beavis and Butthead masks.

SH: It might be time for those to go.

Me: What?

SH: It might be time for me to throw those away.

I am struck silent by my husband's maturity. I had not expected this. For years, he has maintained that he needed to keep those masks. But now, he is a man and he is putting away childish things. I am so proud. My heart warms. He has grown so much since we got married. I love this man.


 SH: Yeah, the rubber is probably rotten anyway.

2 comments:

webb said...

My husband is significantly older, and i have had a plan for years. As we age, it gets more specific. A girl is foolish not to think ahead. Thats part of being a grown up, too.

Class factotum said...

Webb, I am always shocked at people who don't even have a will, especially if they have kids. It's so irresponsible.