Saturday, December 08, 2012

The working life: You can't make an omelette


You guys know that when I'm old, I'll be eating at the early-bird specials, if I eat out at all. Even now, I keep a ziplock bag in my purse when SH and I go out to eat. I need to get better about remembering to bring tupperware with us. We always have leftovers and it's wasteful to get those to-go containers. We do not waste food.

I love a buffet breakfast when it is included in the hotel room price. I am not so crazy about a $38 dollar buffet breakfast, as I don't feel I can do it justice. How does one eat $38 worth of breakfast if neither alcohol nor caviar are involved? 

The hotel I was staying at on my trip to the unspecified Middle Eastern country had a $38 buffet breakfast. Definitely no alcohol and let me amend that previous list of items that might make breakfast worth that much to include bacon, also of which there was none as hello, this is the Middle East.

So a $38 breakfast that did not include expensive breakfast items.

I will say that what they had was delicious. Lots of yogurts and fruits. Veal sausage, which I did not try. Baked beans, which I did not try. Scrambled eggs, which I did not try. Various smoked fishes, which I did try and hated. I loved the ful soup, the hummus, and the lebnah. I filled up with Middle Eastern bean and dairy products every morning.

Which are not expensive. Beans are not expensive. And yet, I was charged $38 for each breakfast.

Which I guess I shouldn't have cared about because I will expense it all, but it still bugs me that someone will charge that much for breakfast.

The bigger problem than the price, though, was that I didn't have any place to get food during the day. There were scheduled lunches, but the suppers were planned for late in the evening and there was nowhere for me to get a snack between lunch and supper, unless I wanted to eat a Rolex, which is the only item the hotel sells besides food and shelter. No peanut butter crackers or overpriced granola bars unless you want to count what was in the minibar and I would have to be on the verge of death to eat of the minibar.

I needed some kind of snack.

Saving food from breakfast is a time-honored tradition chez nous. When I accompanied SH on his work trips - back when I was a gold-digging gold digger who did nothing but lounge around all day and enjoy the fruits of my husband's labor without making a single contribution to the household myself, or at least that's how it worked to hear SH's parents tell it, his meals were covered expenses but mine were not, which is perfectly fair. Why should SH's employer pay for my meals just because I want to tag along on a business trip?

But I was not going with SH to inexpensive places. London and Munich are not cheap. Fortunately, breakfast was included with the hotel instead of being an extra $38, so I was able to eat well in the morning. But I didn't want to have to spend $20 on lunch. Nor did I want to eat so much at breakfast that I couldn't move. I don't like to eat a huge breakfast. I usually have some yogurt and some hard-boiled eggs or yogurt and some oatmeal. That's enough to get me started in the morning.

My solution was to grab two hard-boiled eggs from the breakfast buffet and eat those at lunch. A good breakfast of German food (which always seemed to include serrano ham, which I know is not German, but they had it) plus some hard-boiled eggs at lunch, maybe accompanied with a roll with some serrano ham stuffed in it, was enough to get me to suppertime with SH.

I just casually rolled those eggs into my purse while looking casually at the other diners. Eggs travel very well.

So do little sandwiches wrapped in napkins.

So when I was at the hotel in the unspecified ME country, I thought, I can take some hard-boiled eggs from breakfast and eat those in the afternoon if I need a snack! The perfect portable high-protein, relatively low-calorie snack!

didn't even try to hide my eggsnatching. Thirty eight dollars for breakfast? I'm taking eggs with me. What are you going to do about it? They cost, what, 12 cents apiece? Maybe a little more now because of our ridiculous subsidy of the corn industry, which is making anything that eats corn more expensive and also making other grains, the mainstay of the diet of most of the poor world, more expensive. Yes, we taxpayers are subsidizing corn growers and making food more expensive for poor people in the process. What a great system.

So on my way to my morning meeting on Day 2, I grabbed two eggs from the very attractive egg display as seen above.

As I grabbed them, one of them cracked. It was right at the end where that little air pocket is. I grabbed a cloth napkin from one of the tables, wrapped the eggs in it, and put the package in my purse. Then I went on about my business, some of which included going to a different hotel to meet a distributor and have lunch with him.

I returned to my hotel after lunch. Went upstairs to leave some things in my room, and, if truth be told, goof off online for a few minutes before returning to the regularly-scheduled meeting, and thought, I should leave the eggs in the room.

I reached into my purse and fumbled for the napkin.

It was wet.

I pulled it out. Unwrapped it.

Guess what. Those eggs?

Were not hard boiled. 

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Hysterical! At least you'd wrapped the napkin around the eggs, or your whole purse would have been a mess.

This is going into your book, right?

Class factotum said...

Alicia, everything is going into the book.