Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 731: You'll miss me when I'm gone

Me: I don't want to take this work trip.

SH: I don't want you to go, either.

Me: A week is too long. I can't believe I'll have to work on the weekend. And late every night.

SH: At least you get overtime.

We both laugh heartily, clutching our sides. No, I am exempt from being paid for working more than 40 hours a week! Lucky me!

Me: At least I'll get comp time.

Again, we laugh heartily. A co-worker, who is not from the US, said that our boss is "from the school that is old" and does not believe in working from home. Unless it is he who is working from home.

SH: That's too long.

Me: I know.

SH: I don't want you to be gone.

Me: You're going to miss me!

Even though we've known each other for seven years - eight? - I still want to know that SH loves me and will miss me and enjoys being around me. It's good to know I'm wanted, even as the hair grays, the flesh sags, the eyes dim.

SH: Yes. And who's going to cook for me?

No comments: