Friday, May 17, 2013

The working life: The rat race

Here's why I hate business travel.

Wait. I don't need to tell you guys. You already know the miseries of spending nights away from home in non-luxury hotels after you've had the hassle of actually getting to a place, which often involves an ordeal at the airport, delayed flights, uncomfortable seats, no food, etc, etc.

I have the added joy of working over the weekend right now because you know you don't want people to have to miss work to attend meetings before a trade show.

Travel on Thursday. Work all day Friday with mandatory team-building supper at pub with just pub food which is not my favorite category of food after.

Then an 8:00 meeting on Saturday morning, with breakfast served from 7:00 to 8:00. We are Strongly Encouraged to partake of the offered breakfast rather than buy our own and expense it.

Not that I was going to sleep late anyhow on Saturday - nor do I get to sleep late on Sunday because guess what? Another 8:00 meeting! With 7:00 a.m. breakfast! -  but I had set my alarm for 6:15 so I could go for a quick run before my day of sitting.

I didn't need my alarm.

Why didn't I need an alarm to wake up at 6:15 on a Saturday morning?

BECAUSE THERE WAS A MARATHON THAT STARTED JUST UNDER MY ROOM. AT 6:00 A.M.

No, the race didn't start at 6:00 a.m.

But the music did.

At 6:04.

No matter how hard you try - even if you are wearing earplugs, which I was, you cannot sleep through "Paper and Fire" (a song I could go the rest of my life without hearing again and be happy about it) at 400 decibels.

The hotel was filled with

1. People who were there for the convention and
2. People who were there for the race

Now. If you were going to place people in their rooms using any sort of logic, which people would you put on the side with the music and which people would you put on the side away from the music?

Nope. That's not what the hotel did.

They put me - a convention person - on the music side.

I hate the hotel and I hate the race and I hope everyone pulled a muscle.

1 comment:

Gracie's Mom said...

SOMEBODY woke up on the wrong side of the world!! Look on the bright side, it can only get better from here. Also, please know I am not laughing at you...... but I am laughing loudly.

Cindy