Monday, June 03, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 21: Teeth > Love

My dentist and I were comparing notes on how our significant others responded to our dental accessories.

Me: I wear my biteguard even if I'm just sitting in bed reading because it feels so much better than clenching my teeth.

[Clenched teeth is my natural state of being, which explains why my ear, my neck, and my shoulder are sore so often. Clenching reaches from inside my whole mouth, which is full of sore teeth and gums, to way down my body.]

Dr H: I had just gotten out of dental school and had just gotten my braces off. I had just met my husband. At first, I worried about wearing my retainer around him.

Me: I know! My husband hates my biteguard! It grosses him out. It's like that scene in Date Night where Tina Fey pulls her biteguard out and all that drool is on it.

Dr H: Exactly! So I wouldn't wear it around my boyfriend,  but then I thought, "Screw it. These are my teeth!"

I  nodded in agreement. "Husbands and boyfriends come and go, but you're going to need your teeth until the day you die."

1 comment:

Gaylin said...

I have been wearing a bite guard for over 20 years. Not the same one, mind you. I have chewed through more than a few of them.

If my 'other' is bothered by it, tough luck! If I don't wear it at night, I can't eat for sore teeth during the day.

Being able to eat trumps what anyone else might think of it!