Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 62: Mystery food

SH is home after being gone for one night and is going through his traditional "What's in the refrigerator and what's going to happen to it?: review.

For the blissfully ignorant, this involves holding the fridge door open, pulling out every single container of food, opening the lid, asking, "What is this?" and then querying me as to when said item will be eaten.

Example.

SH: Is that still the mole you made last week?

Me: Yes.

SH: Why haven't you finished it?

Me: Quit asking me stupid questions.

SH: When are you going to eat it?

Me: I don't know.

SH: Are you going to eat it for lunch?

Me: I don't know. Shut up.

SH: Are you cranky?

Me: I am now.

We go through the expanded version of this exercise when he's been gone for more than a day or two. That's when he goes through the freezer and wants to know what everything is, including the smoked venison and the fish skin he brought back from his friend Matt's party three years ago and that every time he identifies it, I suggest that perhaps now is the time to throw it away, seeing as it is three years old.

"I don't know," he always says. "You always ask me when I'm busy!"

"Busy" being defined as "looking at everything that is in the freezer," which I think would be the perfect time to make decisions about what's in the freezer, but no. The objective of this exercise is to identify food, not discard it. Why do something that might actually be useful?

Which is why when he was gone last week at Matt's party (I don't go because 1. Matt doesn't like me and 2. Matt's house is complete chaos, with three little kids and clutter everywhere, I threw the freezer-burned venison/fish skins away.

And when he came back from Matt's party and added new venison to the stash, he didn't even notice that the old stuff was gone.

So maybe I should learn from that.




2 comments:

Marty Haugen said...

I can relate. Sometimes I'm sitting at the piano, but decide I'm much too busy to write a new song.

Pam said...

You and your first commenter just made my day. Thank you.

Sign me,
LLL Who Likes the Old Hymns