Friday, July 12, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 64: You're on your own

Me: I don't think I would be as nice a mom as Julie [a friend of ours] is.

SH: What do you mean?

Me: She asks her kids if they are hungry and then offers to make them food. I am more Darwinian.

SH: Why aren't you asking me what I want for breakfast?

Me: Because I don't care.

SH: Why aren't you making my breakfast?

Me: Because I don't care if you eat.

SH: But it's my day off!

Me: Oh! I didn't realize that meant I was on duty to prepare your breakfast!

SH: I'm hungry.

Me: Feed yourself.

2 comments:

Gaylin said...

Another reason why I am single. I would probably be all happy and in 'luv' for the first while feeding him and being all caring. And then reality would kick in and I would be 'make your own damn food, I am reading'.

All warm and cuddly that is me (for awhile).

pam said...

Well, for starters, you're not his mother. He has arms and legs and can feed himself. I bet you would raise quite capable, self-sufficient, practical children (if only because I think you sound a lot like me, and that fairly well describes my now-24-year-old son, who, if I do say so myself, seems to have survived my mothering; yea, even prospered).