Friday, July 26, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 742: Going off the grid


The idea was simple: a week at a cottage without cellphone or internet access.

Then SH got the wireless code for the house across the street.

Which meant he spent the first three days of our vacation working.

Which is better than last year, when he spent the first three days of our vacation at the island library working. If one must work on vacation, it's better work while sitting on the porch and listening to the waves lap against the shore than to drive ten miles into town to sit in the library, which does not have air conditioning, which would normally not be an issue in a place where in the winter, one drives across the ice to get to the mainland, but we have had three hot summers in a row now and air conditioning would be nice in a building designed to preserve heat.

But. I am not going to complain about the lack of a/c in a facility I have not even paid for.

So anyway. SH spent the first three days working - what happened to the days when being on vacation meant you didn't work? - and then said he would start reading his book, the McCullough (did I spell that right? I am too lazy to get up and look for the book to check) biography of John Adams.

I did not spend the first three days working. I am trying very hard not to think about that place where I go for money.

I am reading. Above, you see the stack of books I have completed (on the left) and then the yet to reads. The stack on the right are books that are due next week; the books in the middle are due in two weeks.

The political book belongs to SH. Reading something like that would be too much like work.

3 comments:

Marty Haugen said...

You're a voracious reader. I'm a voracious eater.

wildstorm said...

=)

Gaylin said...

Books are my favourite people . . .

I go to three different libraries a week!

Enjoy your vacation with books.