Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Marriage 501, Lecture 75: Competitive

The always winner is in the middle with the big smile. Wouldn't you smile if you always won?

When we were with my sister, her fiance', my brother, and my mom, we played Bananagrams.

Actually, they played and I maintained I didn't want to be involved. I have played games with my family before and it never ends well for me. When we were kids, my sister always won. Always. She has the magic touch with the Yahtzee dice or the Sorry! dice or with any dice. She has some kind of strange charm with games of chance and can influence the numbers to fall where she wills. I don't know how she does it.

I hated never winning (that hasn't changed) so I excused myself as much as possible from family gaming. It worked out well, as Parcheesi and Sorry are really four-person games and we were five. It worked out.

When I saw Jenny and my mom playing this game, I thought, "I want nothing to do with this. I remember my youth. I remember the sting of constant loss."

It was bad enough that I was (rightfully) picked last for every team sport in school. But then to lose games that involved nothing more than randomness was too much to bear.

But I watched. And then M, Jenny's fiance', joined the game. And I saw how it was played. And I saw that he had lots of As and Zs and Vs and didn't know what to do with them.

I didn't want my sister to win.

So I sat next to M and said sotto voce, "Aardvark."

He spelled it out.

I scrutinized the tiles some more. "Woad."

He spelled it out.

"Adze."

My sister looked up. "Hey!" she said. "No fair!"

I smiled. Revenge is so sweet, 40 years later.

1 comment:

Marilyn Leslie said...

Love this post. Growing up with 3 siblings and being the middle daughter meant I was often on the losing end of things.